Gamers Vortex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game News ~ Cheats ~ Downloads ~ Walthroughs ~ Trailers ~ Reviews

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesArcadeMusic PlaylistRegisterLog in

Review: Atomic Butcher

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AussieJay
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
AussieJay

Male
Number of posts : 671
UserTitle : Brian Rocks
Favorite Game : Burnout Series
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Review: Atomic Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Review: Atomic Butcher   Review: Atomic Butcher EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:37 am

ATOMIC BUTCHER
<< PC Only >>

What is it?
AB (Atomic Butcher) is a 2D scrolling shooter, made by Das Humankapital. It features heaps of violence, and I mean blood, gore and urinating on enemies to steal their flesh, and lots of fun. It includes very detailed levels and lots of weapons to use in the event of enemies. The objective of the game is to gain meat from dead enemies that you kill to keep a nuclear bunker's inhabitants alive. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that there was a nuclear explosion?

The levels start pretty easy then gain difficulty and detail.

Quote :
When we started our project in January 2004, all we knew was that we'd like to make "some kind of jump'n'run", and that it should be a small "quick and dirty" game. Both of us had already tried to program games on their own before that, but usually we didn't come very far (...a common ill with indie game programmers), so our idea was to "join forces" and, for a start, create a really simple game with the only goal of getting it finished, whatever it was.

So, without any real planing, we just started coding like mad and, after a few days (and nights) of programming we had a simple tilemap with scrolling and a particle system. We were sure that this would take no longer than a month, maybe two. But somehow the whole thing got out of hand after a while, and when we saw that our code (we never dared to call it an "engine" due to a total lack of architectural planning) was actually working, we started stuffing feature after feature in it, even though the core of our game was never designed for it...

Now, almost a year later, Atomic Butcher is finally finished, and it's truly a miracle that it actually works. The code grew bloated and became ugly as hell, filled with heaps of hacks to circumvent our lack of planning in the first place. But it is done now (and didn't turn out THAT bad, we think), and we are actually quite proud of our first finished game, even though there are a lot of obvious flaws with it...and we learned a lot for our future releases, which will definitely come! (Even though it may take a while...)

Thanks for reading through all this drivel, and have fun with the ATOMIC BUTCHER! (And don't take anything in it too serious...)

Yours,
Das Humankapital.

Spoiler:

Some Info
This game features the following:

* 360° seamless aiming
* perfect moon walk of our "hero"
* 7 distinctive weapons
* 47 different enemies
* 10 levels full of unnecessary violence
* lots of secrets
* a powerful particle system
* a simple scripting engine
* even more unnecessary violence

Spoiler:

Handy Links
Atomic Butcher Homepage
Screenshots
Download

Review is incomplete!
Back to top Go down
http://tech.yix.org
ngh
ngh

Male
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Review: Atomic Butcher   Review: Atomic Butcher EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 1:48 am

Its freeware? Looks a bit like LieroX to me. ^_^
I'm willing to try it out even though you haven't finished the review, the game looks nice.
Maybe you should remove the spoiler tags? They seem a bit annoying to me. ><
Back to top Go down
AussieJay
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
AussieJay

Male
Number of posts : 671
UserTitle : Brian Rocks
Favorite Game : Burnout Series
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Review: Atomic Butcher   Review: Atomic Butcher EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 1:13 am

Oops I forgot about this review Very Happy yes it's freeware and it's heaps of fun.

The spoiler tag keeps the images hidden away, until the reader wants to view them Wink

Uhh I might get around to finishing the review Wink
Back to top Go down
http://tech.yix.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Atomic Butcher   Review: Atomic Butcher Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Atomic Butcher
Page 1 of 1